My recent soap I think I came pretty close to breaking. I have been envisioning a sunflower embed soap. I wanted the nice bright yellow and a beautiful deep blue background. I wanted to call it Sunflower Sky...I had it all planned out.
I watched You Tube videos. I ordered my sunflower fragrance. It was going to use goats milk and also some Aloe Vera liquid that I have on hand. It was going to be great.
He he...fast forward to my flower piping.
Lesson #1 - don't use fragrance. I was thinking that I wanted to use the fragrance so that I did not have to wait a long time for the soap to start thicken. The first flowers turned out OK, the rest where not as good. My soap started thickening up so fast that I had to find a small container to rest the piping nail so I could use both hands to squeeze out the soap. It was really bad. I kept kneading the bag, hoping to soften the batter and it was not working. I was getting pretty frustrated and started to ask myself why in the world would I think I was ready to do this! ha!
Lesson #2 - Do this in a cool place, with the air conditioner running or in the middle of Winter. There is nothing like doing it in a hot day, getting frustrated because it's not going the way you want to. I think it was getting hotter and hotter by the minute :0/
Lesson #3 - Make sure your space is clear of items you will not need. I was starting to run out of room as I was quickly piping there flowers. I accidentally dropped two on the floor as I push some aside to make room. Grrr....
But, I must say that the following day when I made the actual soap batch, I was so in love with my blue. I just recently purchased a new slab mold and I don't have my measurements correct in my soaping software. My bars a pretty thick! I need do adjust the height :)
I really like how the gold mica play with the ultramarine blue :) Very pretty!
Below you can see the difference in flowers. The one in the middle was one of the first I made. The one on the left is as my soap was getting pretty hard. The petals look pretty rough and almost rustic.
Here is a pic of the soap in the mold. I realized as I was taking the picture that I should have taken it before I made marks on the soap :(
Here are the final bars...a little thick. Much thicker than what I was going for. I just need to adjust the volume in my software for this slab mold.
As you can see, some of my flowers look a little rough.
Overall I am pretty happy with how this batch came out :)
I am curious to see how the aloe will feel as soon as it is ready to use.
Thanks for checking out my blog!