Out first challenge is the Peacock Swirl. I was pretty excited and could not wait to get started. I picked my colors and fragrance and was set to go!
I wanted some nice bright colors, so I decided to go with the following:
Now I did make a change to my standard recipe. I used more Olive Oil, took out my Palm and Palm Kernel Oil and made sure to go with Mango Butter instead of Cocoa Butter. I thought I would be safe, but little did I know I was headed for my first failure.
I think I may have over blended my soap. By the time I added the fragrance oil I was already at medium trace. My soap moved fast and here I thought I was going to have enough time due to the high content of olive oil. I could not even squirt my soap out of the condiment bottles, much less mix them. It was pretty bad!
I decided to give it a go one more time. I just keep going back for more punishment :)
This time I took off the Castor Oil and used more Olive Oil and decided to add Rice Bran Oil. Wouldn't you know it...I almost did it again. Over blended my mixture again. This time I was able to barely mix the colors in my condiment bottle and little by little added the soap to the mold.
I used my made up little tool and dragged it down the soap
I finished by creating the "8" pattern, and I am thinking that maybe I should have made my swirl a little smaller.
So here are the final bars. I can't say that I am completely happy with them, but at least they are a lot better than the first batch.
I think this will be it for me and the peacock swirl for some time. I need to come up with a nice slow moving recipe before I decide to try it again.
In the end I would say that I did have fun with this project...sort of. I did allow me to try a new technique and play with colors. All is not lost after all.
Thanks for checking out my blog!!!