Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Morning Glory and Honeysuckle

Spring is in full swing I tell you!  It may be still Winter outside but in my soaping closet it's a different story.  I have been stocking up on some nice "floral" fragrances.  I have faced my fear and have been making some soap with sweet, floral scents! 

Yes...I must admit that it has not been easy, but it's part of this whole learning experience.  With that in mind I decided to soap with a new fragrance from Nature Garden - "Morning Glory and Honeysuckle".  It is described by the vendor as:
 blend of morning glories, honeysuckle, and geranium; rounded out with notes of corn mint, cedarwood, eucalyptus, orange and patchouli.

Sounds good to me!

So I gather my supplies, prep my colors and found a happy temperature for my oils and lye water.  Everything was perfect.  Soaping world was wonderful...I was even humming a happy tune :)
I was so happy with my color scheme...look...PRETTYYYYYYYYYYYYY....

I stuck it in the fridge and all was good. 
I took it out the next day and come back to check on it and discovered the weirdest thing - beads of water on the surface
At first I thought that maybe one of the kids had sprayed something on top of it or my hubby had accidentally sprayed over it while he was cleaning, but after carefully checking around I realised that it was not the case.  It was the weirdest thing.  I kind of panicked and decided to unmold it to see if maybe it had overheated and something else was going on inside.  I managed to damage the corners of the soap since it was still soft, but the inside looked OK after I cut it.  Then I started to notice some more beading starting to pop out of the bars...see pic (hopefully you can see some of the beads of water in the bottom over the white)
I posted the question of why the beads in the TeachSoap forum and it was suggested that sometimes soap that is placed in the fridge and then removed can do this.  I was also told that it may also be the glycerin seeping up on the surface. I did use glycerin to mix my colors.

I finally decided to let it be since  I did not want to rebatch this one as well.  I checked it the following day and all the beads had disappeared.  I checked it for zap and it was good.  So either it was the glycerin or condensation..

One thing for sure, I am so glad that this soaping batch was OK...I really LOVE how the swirls came out...they look so PRETTYYYYYYYYYYY :)

Thanks for checking out my blog!



  1. I usually put my soap into the freezer when use an ice tray,because it's far easier to take the soap out this way. I have noticed the same water drops which always would dry out. The little hearts which I use as embeds, look as if I tried to wash them,that wet. My first thought was that must be condensation issue, and I don't know whether I used the glycerin,or not. So,I'm pretty sure you can be in piece with this beautiful soap of yours, it's lovely and sure,perfectly safe. So vibrant colours and unique swirls!

  2. So pretty Roxana, beautiful vibrant colors...so glad the condensation didn't turn out to be an issue!

  3. Wow, those are some fantastic colors, Roxana! My first thought was that it was probably condensation, too. Glycerin is also a possibility. I'm glad that your soap turned out fine and didn't zap. I think I'm going to try a floral FO this week, and I'm a little nervous - I've always heard that florals are notorious for seizing so I tend to shy away from them. It's good to hear that you've been having success with floral scents. Beautiful job!

  4. Wow! Those colors are absolutely amazing, and raw soap picture has to be my favorite. I'm so glad that the soapers on the forum were able to help you out. Happy Soaping! =)

  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia! :)
      The colors are staying nice and bright. I am happy with it