Saturday, January 5, 2013

Rebatching...

I am always happy when my soaping turns out ok.  I must admit that I have been pushing the envelop lately and trying out some fragrances that have been warned by the vendor to be fast moving fragrances.  By fast moving I mean that you you have to move fast or you will most likely find yourself with ricing, and soap that starts setting on you pretty fast. 

With this in mind I decided to try a safer fragrance "Soapy Clean" from Bramble Berry.  A very nice, fresh from the shower "clean" fragrance.  I figured that I should be ok....ha!

Well here is how it turned out...

 
 
Wondering what I am complaining about?  Well if you look really closely you will see all these little tiny yellow dots.  Not good.  I checked it to make sure it was ok to use and it zapped on me. :(
I was disappointed since I was so in loveeeeeeeeeee with the swirl!.
 
So what happened?  When I started to prep my oils, lye and goats milk everything was going on fine.  Then I checked my temperature and noticed that I had dropped down to 90 degrees.  It was pretty low.  I should have stayed between 100-110.  I decided to go ahead an combined them all since I was also hoping that the goats milk would not overheat the batch.  Everything mix well but as soon as I added the fragrance oil I immediately got some little bumps.  I tried to smoothed it out as much as I could with the stick blender and poured in the mold, but once I was able to umold and cut I noticed that I was not able to use it after all. 
 
So off I go to my favorite soap forum for a bit of advice, Teachsoap.com.  I was reassured that I can easily rebatch it.  Well I did not want to waste all my precious oils and goats milk so off I go and get started.
 
Chopping away and adding it to the crock pot.  Poor beautiful swirled soap :(
 
 
Waiting till it melted down to consistency of mashed potatoes and making sure all the mixture was combined/mixed nicely:




Plopping it in the mold (it was later that I realised that I could have smoothed it down with covering it with plastic wrap):


And the final results:

Now I must admit that it's no beauty compared to how it first started, but it's kind of growing on me.  It has an interesting nautical look to it and the wonderful "Soapy Clean" smell.  I think I am ok with it :)

Thanks for checking out my blog!  Happy Soaping!
Roxana

17 comments:

  1. Sorry Roxana,but I don't get it! what was wrong with the temperature and why do you think you should have stayed at higher temps? Lately, I've been soaping at rooms temp with no problem. Especially if it contains milk.
    F.o seems to have nothing to do with lye heavy soap,does it?
    The first one was really beautiful,it's a pity it had to be rebatched,but the second one still looks fine. I've done a rebatch recently, I got the similar consistency of soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was advised that what may have happened is that since the temp was low that I may have either gotten a false trace or that the oils had started to set in. I was hoping that the bars would have been ok but when I tested for zap it tested positive. Maybe it was just bad luck on my part :(
      Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
    2. You maybe should have waited for couple of days,perhaps the low temp.slowed the saponification down,but it would have finished in a few extra days. I've never seen,nor experienced the false trace and I'm not quite sure why it's happening.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! But I am not scoring well with this soap. It still has a bit of zap to it :(

      Delete
  2. I think your rebatch turned out beautifully, and the look of it suits the fragrance name perfectly! Those swirls in original soap are gorgeous though Roxana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cee! I am going to attempt the same technique in the future hoping to get some similar swirls! :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry that you couldn´t use the soap when it had such beautiful swirls. But I don´t think that there is anything wrong with the rebatch. It looks like a blue cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad that the soap was zappy, Roxana, because the swirls were so pretty! Your rebatch looks nice, too, though. I like the rustic look and the specks of white are beautiful against the sky blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It still looks great Roxana! The last time I rebatched soap, I stick blended it before pouring it into the mold (per a suggestion from a soap forum also!), and it made a world of difference. A lot smoother and easier to pour. I was really impressed, you should try it next time you rebatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip Laura! I will try that next time. I was hoping for smoother texture but it turned out pretty rustic

      Delete
  6. The blue is gorgeous! I think you did a fabulous job on it and if it ever turns out zappy, you can always make laundry soap out of it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Anne-Marie! I may have to go find your blog! It actually still has some zap to it. I'm pretty dissapointed :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roxana,could you send me your e-mail address, I want to send you an invitation for a private blog I've just started? Other soapmakers are welcomed, too, I just don't have their mail addresses!
    Mine is: diva.handmade.soap@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently used the same scent in CP soap oils at 80 degrees 30% LC
    It didn't get clumpy on me at all. The scent is a more rich version of the commercial brand "Tone Soap"
    It's really lovely and sticks well in curing and right out of the tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jen!
      Really - 80 degrees? I wonder why why it did not work well with me when I soaped at 100. I must be having bad luck lately with my soaping world. I do like the scent and will probably end up using for laundry soap. Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete